Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cheese Blintzes with Blueberry Sauce

     Every once in a while I'm particularly excited about a new recipe, so excited in fact that I must post it.  At the beginning of this year Corey and I escaped to the Grande America Hotel for an anniversary getaway.  At the buffet breakfast I discovered blintzes...yum.  I searched for a recipe and just recently tried it myself.  It's a bit involved, but worth it on a cold, slow Saturday morning.  Enjoy!


Cheese Blintzes with Blueberry Sauce (original recipe from food.com)

Blueberry Sauce

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Blintzes

1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
5 eggs
2/3 cup milk
shortening
1 lb small curd cottage cheese
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
sour cream

Directions:

Make sauce: Wash and crush berries.
Mix in sugar thru salt and 1¼ cups water and put in saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Chill.
Make blintzes: Combine flour and salt, add 1 cup water and mix until smooth.
Add 4 eggs and beat well.
Add milk and mix to a thin batter.
Heat a small amount of shortening in a 6" skillet.
Pour in ¼ cup batter and cook slowly until pancake is lightly browned on bottom and set on top.  
Turn out with browned side up.
Repeat, making about 18 pancakes.
Using a hand mixer, blend cheese through vanilla with remaining egg.  
Put a spoonful of cheese mixture in center of each pancake, fold in ends and roll up.
Brown in a small amount of hot shortening.  
Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream with cold blueberry sauce over the top.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting the recipe Amber! I've been meaning to ask for it, they are to die for !!

    ReplyDelete