Sunday, January 23, 2011

"Numma, numma"

This Monday for breakfast we had Swedish Pancakes.  The kids were out of school and that is what we almost always have on such school-less days.  The recipe is from my Grandma Peterson.  We always had (and still have) Swedish Pancakes for Christmas with its delicious companion...breakfast casserole.  I have very fond memories of Grandpa sitting at the breakfast table and  in his gruff but satisfied voice saying "numma numma! They're sure good Ma!"
 I asked my Grandma about this tradition once and she spoke of her mother making them on any type of special day she could think of, especially sleepovers.  Now with my own kids we take the opportunity to make them whenever we have the time.  I know most of you will really want to call these crepes but they're not, they taste and look almost exactly the same, but these are Swedish, just like my Grandma.  Oh! and the appropriate way to eat them is to smother them with butter then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, roll up and enjoy. 
Here's the recipe if you'd like to try them out!

Swedish Pancakes

4 eggs
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbls. sugar
2 c. milk
1 c. + 1 Tbls. flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Blend in blender and cook over medium-medium high heat.  Be sure to spray your pan before each one!

1 comment:

  1. I will never forget when you, Corey, and his friend made them for me on my birthday!! We always eat ours with cinnamon and sugar!

    ReplyDelete