What a wonderful Mothers Day I've had, and I'm not being facetious for any of you who already know what I did this weekend. Breck had been coughing for a few nights and Saturday morning he was lethargic. So at lunch time Corey dropped Breck and I off at the doctors office on his way to Classic Skating where Keaton had a birthday party. Breck's oxygen wasn't good so they put him on oxygen and did a breathing treatment and got a chest x-ray. The x-ray showed that he had pneumonia. His breathing looked alright so we left with instructions to come back that night for a check and more treatments.
Well, the check didn't go over well and they sent us to Primary Children's. "Sorry to send you for Mother's Day" they said, but I couldn't help but think "it's okay, I'm being a Mom and right now, and when Breck is sick enough to go to the hospital there is nowhere else I'd rather be." So I spent Sunday and Monday holding and cuddling Breck while he got better. Despite the worry that comes with illness it was great to spend time just me and him. I held him almost the whole time and enjoyed him. Corey came up with his Dad on Sunday to give Brecken a blessing. He also brought a mothers day gift which included the book "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. It's a wonderfully powerful book about her decisions about motherhood and other inspirational thoughts on the importance of motherhood. I'd highly recommend it. For me it's easy to know in my head that what I'm doing is important and worthwhile, but to feel of that importance is harder and quite honestly I haven't felt it for a while.
The combination of my weekend and this wonderful book and moments of quiet contemplation helped me feel the immense value of what I'm doing as a mother. The best part is that I've realized it's the tedious day to day things that are so important. You think "anyone can scrub a toilet and vacuum," but it's you who actually does, and not once or twice but day after day after day....it's enduring love expressed in housework along with every other thing you do, cook, play, listen and spend time. When we got home my Mom came and we had a great "Mothers Day" visit. She brought me a book as well called "Bedtime and Naptime and Bedtime and Naptime" by Hilary Weeks. This was another one I'd recommend. It's absolutely hilarious but also ties in the deeply spiritual importance of motherhood.
I hope you all felt it last weekend, and if you didn't I hope you will. I really believe that when we truly realize and feel the value in what we're doing as mothers is when we'll be the mothers our children need us to be, the mothers our Heavenly Father knows we can be.
So to my Mom: thanks Mom for cleaning and cooking and bringing me saltines and sprite when I was sick. Thank you for teaching me that motherhood is important and valuable work. For teaching me that the most important place I could be is home with my kids, and for Mothering me still as a friend, confidant and cheerleader. I love you.
To all my other Mother friends and family I hope you'll find the joy and feel of the importance in your mothering, just like I did this morning when Avery licked the syrup off of my pancake.

I'm so glad I checked out your blog today. I of course cried and I had to read it twice to let it all sink in. Thanks Ams. Love you!
ReplyDeleteThat was a great post Amber! The book by Hillary Weeks will get on my to-buy list this week :) Thanks for being such a great example of a happy mother ;)
ReplyDeleteYou are one AMAZING mother/person. I sure love you and have always admired you. I really look up to. I wish I could understand things like you do. You are so optimistic and spiritual. I LOVE it. Thanks for your great example. I hope Breck is doing better. Poor little guy. I sure love your guys and miss you.
ReplyDelete