Friday, May 6, 2011

Joyce's Pie Crust

    
     I got this recipe from a food group in my ward.  I haven't been able to go the past few months and my sweet friend Brittany was kind enough to bring me the recipes and a plate of different pies the last time they met.  When I got the recipe for pie crust I thought to myself  "why would you put egg in a pie crust when you can make a perfectly good one out of flour, salt, water, and shortening?"  
      It must have plagued my thoughts a bit, because a few weeks ago I was making dinner for a friend who had just had a baby.   I was making chicken pot pie and wanted it to be special to celebrate their new arrival.  I did it.  I made the new pie crust and can I tell you....WOW!  It's light, flaky, buttery, scrumptious and even puffs a bit as it bakes.  Try it, you'll love it! You'll be so proud of yourself that you'll volunteer to make three pies totally from scratch for your next family get together...whew! 

Joyce's Pie Crust

2 1/4 C. flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 C. shortening
3 TB butter
1/3 C. + 1 TB ice water
1 egg white

Combine flour and salt with shortening and butter until it forms small particles (pea-sized).  Beat water and egg-white until foamy.  Stir into flour with fork.   Roll onto a flour-covered board. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so lame I haven't told you this yet, but seriously the BEST chicken pot pie I have ever eaten, especially the crust!

    ReplyDelete